Monday 5 May 2014

ROSE UNDER FIRE by Elizabeth Wein

“Hope is the most treacherous thing in the world. It lifts you and lets you plummet.”

American ATA pilot and amateur poet Rose Justice couldn’t plummet much further when she is captured in Nazi occupied France. Following her capture, Rose finds herself a prisoner of Ravensbruk; a notorious women’s concentration camp in Northern Germany. Here Rose encounters cruelty, violence and despair that she never would have believed possible. In a place where death is more common than life, will courage and friendship be enough to save Rose from the same fate as those surrounding her?


 I thought this was a great read, definitely one of the better wartime novels for teens that I’ve read. However I also found it quite morbid and it was a bit haunting as the author didn’t skate over or sugar coat the more horrific parts of the book. Not for the fainted hearted but certainly worth a read if you can handle it!

Reviewed by Melanie


3 comments:

  1. No wayyy, I just finished reading this too! It's a very powerful and intense book, so 'haunting' is definitely the right word to describe it. It's true that the author doesn't sugar coat any of the details, but I think that was one of the things that I appreciated most about the book. Other books I have read on the subject have been quite clinical in describing the events that went on, so I didn't really appreciate fully what everything was like until I read this book. But as Mel says, it's definitely not for the faint-hearted! Thanks for sharing.
    Eve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence :O And I agree with you Eve, I felt that the author gaving details made it much more realistic. It made me more able to understand the true horrors people in places like ravensbruk went through, whereas other books haven't done that for me. Im glad someone shares my view.
      Melanie :)

      Delete
    2. Me too! :)
      Eve

      Delete